Kalki Koechlin to play a paralytic patient

After proving her prowess with many films in Bollywood, Kalki is now all set to play a path breaking, unconventional role on screen. Kalki is all set to play a teenage cerebral palsy patient in the next film directed by Shonali Bose. The film titled Margarita With A Straw, will see Kalki playing a girl confined to wheelchair because of her condition.
Kalki
The talented actress is super excited about her character. She spoke about her role which is spunky, talented and loving, trying to experience love and sex despite the restricting crippling state.
“When Shonali approached me with the script, I thought it was really a very beautiful story and the script later went on to win Best Script at the Sundance Writer’s lab. I had also watched her earlier film Amu which was very real and powerful” said Kalki while speaking to PTI. Kalki also closely shadowed director’s cousin Malini Chib, who suffers from cerebral palsy in real life.

That’s not all. Kalki also worked with Chib’s physiotherapist and speech therapist to get the depth absolutely right.
“The most challenging part was sitting on the wheelchair all the time. I made a decision before starting the shoot that I would remain on my wheelchair as much as possible during the shooting. This, however, took a toll on my body, particularly my back. Emotionally and psychologically it was hard for me. Then there was an intimate love scene which I found very difficult to shoot as I felt very vulnerable while filming it,” she stated.
The actress is presently doing Ajay Krishnan’s new play Trivial Disasters which is a stage play doing a one month tour in United States.
Talk about professionals seeking perfection!

Popular Posts